At the start of the pandemic the Government made an important decision to give an extra £20 a week to those receiving Universal Credit, helping those on the lowest incomes to continue paying their bills and feeding their families during an uncertain time.
At the end of March 2021, just as unemployment is expected to soar, this uplift will come to an end, pulling half a million people into poverty.
Caritas Salford is calling on the government to Keep The Lifeline by making permanent the £20 uplift and extending it to those on legacy benefits too.
We know the Government are discussing whether to do this right now. By writing to your MP TODAY you can show that you are concerned about levels of poverty in this country and want the Government to take action in
the budget on 3rd March 2021.
Please write to your MP today by following these steps:
- Use our template below to draft a letter to your MP – personalise it by adding your experience, or the experience of those you support, to give more impact.
- Find your MP by typing in your postcode here– click on them to find their email address.
- Email your letter to your MP – make sure to include your address at the end so they know you are one of their constituents.
- Please copy in firstname.lastname@example.org your email or let us know you have taken action so we can keep track of which MPs have been contacted. When you receive a response, please let us know.
- Please encourage others to do the same before the budget on 3rd March 2021.